It is okay to be afraid of some things. This reality does not make you a coward, it makes you human. It does have to be something deadly for it to scare you, it could be a little as a roach, a rat, or even a cat. However, it could be one of the big fears, like fear of accomplishment, fear of success, fear of examinations, fear of Mathematics, and the list could go on for all of eternity.
There is no simple way to overcome the greatest fears in your life. Some people may tell you "get over it", "just believe in yourself" and any of all that motivational pep talk, as if it was that simple.
I personally get ticked off in my mind when people tell me things like, "it's all in your head", "don't think about it". It is actually not as though I do not appreciate the love and support, but I do not feel like those pep talks contributed directly to helping me overcome my fears. I place a higher premium on hearing from someone who has had a similar experience and who eventually overcame the same fear. I have a feeling I would hear the truth from the person on how exactly to overcome this fear.
When I was in high school, I hated mathematics, so much so that it was difficult for me to pass it. Everyone told me "it's in your head" "love maths,if you hate it you will fail" "it's just maths". I literally hated hearing those words more than anything, because none of it was making me pass maths. I wrote "I love Maths" all over my notebook, still nothing. I was not getting any closer to passing mathematics. I then started taking Further Mathematics because it was complusory and to my utmost surprise, I was acing it. I am not sure I understand how this happened because I had to dub friends and colleagues in tests and examinations, just to pass Maths.
The point I am trying to make is that not all fears can be conquered, but if you can decide not to let it dictate your life, then you can conquer other fears, regardless of whether the first has been conquered or not. Do not let your destiny be directed by fear and fear of one thing should not be fear of everything. Learn to deal with your fears individually and not let the fact that you have one fear scare you into thinking that you cannot conquer other fears.
No comments:
Post a Comment